Photographer Meta Gatschenberger Presents Her Best Travel Photography Tips For Beginners
Meta’s Best Travel Photography Tips For Beginners
Western North Carolina Nature Photographer Meta Gatschenberger Presents Her Best Travel Photography Tips For Beginners.
Travel Photography often means traveling to far away destinations, or as Meta says “Going off the Mountain”. Meta has traveled to Aruba, all over the United States; From Maine to California, and to Canada; Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
Meta’s Key to The Best Travel Photography Success is to Travel Very Lightly, Take Just What You’ll Need, and make sure all of your Travel Photography Gear can fit under your seat in an airline. Never check any Photography Gear at the Airport Check-In or at the Gate! Meta once had an old Minolta Film Camera stolen out of her checked luggage at the Miami International Airport! It wasn’t so much the loss of the Minolta Film Camera, but all of her vacation images on the rolls of film.
Meta shoots with Sony Digital Cameras and Minolta Lenses.
Meta’s “Pool” (Photo: Top) was shot with a Minolta AF 24mm f/2.8 Prime Lens mounted on a Sony Digital Camera.
Please Subscribe To Meta’s YouTube Channel – Starting a YouTube Channel is a Long Term Commitment, requiring at least 100 Subscribers! Meta has taken that leap and will be posting some of Her Best Digital Photography Reviews this Spring and Summer. Please Subscriber to Meta’s YouTube Channel!
Meta’s Leather Coach Backpack (Photo: Left) holds one Think Tank Photo Camera Bag with a Sony Digital Camera with Small Minolta AF Lens, 2 Medium Size Minolta AF Lenses and one Camera Battery Charger. A Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod or Manfrotto BeFree Tripod can fit in the 1.5” thick rear compartment. Her iPad Mini fits perfectly in the front pocket for easy access once seated. This top quality leather backpack doesn’t look like a Standard Photography Backpack, but it fits easily under the seat in an Airline. Available in Black, Red or Blue and other Assorted Patterns.
If the airline insists that you check your carry-on luggage at the gate, inform them that your Camera Bag contains many Lithium-Ion Camera Batteries! That always works!
Ad • Best Under Seat Diaper Bag Backpack – A Famous Travel Photographer once offered this World Travel Photography Tip on how not to draw attention to yourself. He carries his Camera Gear in a Floral Diaper Bag Backpack! The Insulated Baby Bottle Pockets secure his lenses, plus no one would ever want to steal it.
Meta’s Best Travel Photography Tips
Meta’s Best Travel Photography Packing Tips
When planning her World Travel Photography Adventures, Meta plans to get up very early for Sunrise Photography and to stay up late for Sunset Photography. Remember to allow for any Time Zone Differences.
Meta often Googles Travel Photography from the local area to see where are the Popular Local Photography Hot Spots.
If Meta only had room for only 2 Travel Photography Lenses, she would take her:
• Minolta AF 28–135mm f/4.0–4.5 Telephoto Lens. This Lens is big and heavy, but has a very wide range, plus it does good Close-Up Photography at 28mm. Due to its heavy weight, it’s not recommended for all day walk around use. Uses 72mm Filters.
• Minolta AF 50mm f/1.4 Prime Lens. For an all day Walk-Around Telephoto Lens, this “Nifty Fifty” Compact and Lightweight Prime Lens is great for General Street Photography and Low Light Photography. Zoom with your Feet! Uses 49mm Filters.
Ad • Minolta Lenses – Did you know that Amazon sells Used Minolta Lenses? You can buy Like New or Mint Condition Minolta Lenses directly from Professional Camera Shops in the USA and Japan on Amazon! Meta has purchased many of her Best Minolta Lenses directly from Amazon.
Meta’s Travel Photography Packing List
• Foreign Travel Outside of North America – 220V Overseas Plug Adapter (Photo: Left) – Apple iPhone Chargers and Sony Camera Battery Chargers are rated at 100V–240V, 50Hz/60Hz, which means they can run on 220V, 50Hz, as found on European Cruise Lines (Like Holland America). This is a very simple plug adapter that changes the prongs to round pins for European outlets. It DOES NOT convert the voltage from 220V to 110V, so DO NOT plug in any 110V only devices into it! Not Required for Travel to Canada or Mexico.
• US Customs – If you are leaving the USA, stop at the US Customs Office before you enter Airport Security. They can issue you a Form 4457 – Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad, which includes the description and serial numbers of your camera gear, for reentry back into the US. This proves your camera gear was not purchased outside of the US.
• Under Seat Travel Backpack – Always Carry Your Camera Gear On You – Never Check It!
• Safety First – Not all foreign travel destinations are safe. Travel in a Group. Never Travel Alone!
• Tripod – A Travel Tripod, such as the Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod or Manfrotto BeFree Tripod fits in your Under Seat Travel Backpack.
• Camera Cleaning – Bring a Small Cleaning Kit and Rocket Blower.
• Camera Battery – Bring a Spare Camera Battery in a 12V/120V Battery Charger.
• Extra Large SD Card.
• Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader.
• Bring an Emergency LED Flashlight with Extra Energizer AA 1.5V Lithium Batteries.
• Bring an Emergency Rain Poncho.
• Don’t Forget Your Passport!
Ad • Silica Gel Packs – When Traveling, Meta places one 5 Gram Silica Gel Pack (2” x 2 3/4” Packs) into each of her Travel Bags, Camera Bags, Lens Cases, Flash Pouches and Camera Pouches. One 5 Gram Silica Gel Pack can Protect your Valuable Camera Equipment up to 600 Cubic Inches from Damaging Moisture Absorption!
Blowing Rock, NC 28605
Follow Meta On: